Welcome to Crown
Historical Walking Tour.
virtual tour through the historic residential streets of Crown Point.
Historical Walking Tour, The First Walk, is an actual 2-mile self-guided tour which
showcases 30 homes on Court, Main, and South Streets. Following is a sampling of
those tour homes and some other houses that have been recognized for their
historic ties with Crown Point.
The Little Castle House
660 South Court Street
Tudor Revival, a brick house with steep roof and round turret, was built c: 1929.
The architect of this house designed several about Crown Point. Arnold Koll, the
local baker, was an early resident of this fortress like house. The brick fireplace
has terra cotta tiles, and each room has a different stucco wall patterns. Wood trim
and cedar flooring are throughout.
445 South Clark Street
provided by David P Gamaleri
481 South Court Street
gabled-ell gothic revival trimmed in clapboard with various window treatments, this old
house is believed to have been built in 1858, but courthouse records list 1879. The
Grimmer family lived here for 55 years. Mr. Grimmer was the first school teacher in
St. John and rode his horse there each day. Grimmer middle school in Dyer is named
after this early educator. The current owner since 1968 is not interested in selling her unique old
house and is annoyed with prospective buyers and requests privacy. Note the exterior
woodwork, the various window arches, the carriage step at the curb and surviving horse
ring. This is only one of three surviving antebellum houses along The First Walk.
The Old Homestead
227 South Court Street
One of the oldest
surviving homes "intact" in Lake County, this house trimmed in clapboard was
built in 1847 by Wellington A. Clark and is a listing in the National Register of Historic
Landmarks. Wellingston A Clark arrived in Crown Point during the 1830's from New
York State. Clark Street is named after this early family. The
Old Homestead is currently undergoing a community-wide
The Letz House House
457 South Court Street
landmark house, a Colonial Revival, was built c: 1925 by William Letz (1881-1961) the son
of a prosperous local manufacturer of farm machinery. Louis Holland Letz, his
father, a German immigrant had established Letx Manufacturing in 1884 and by 1894 won a
gold medal prize at the World's Fair in Chicago for the Letz Feed Grinder. The
living room exhibits a 40" x 30" mural by Schultz, an artist from Valparaiso,
that was commissioned by the Letz family. Note the ornate capitals, flat tile roof
shingles and copper gutters. An earlier house had once stood on this location, the
home of John Luther who had been an early settler in Crown Point.
The Cheshire-Collins House
403 South Court Street
gabled/Italianete house built c: 1860 rests upon an older log cabin that dates back to the
Solon Robinson (the founder of Crown Point) settlement c: 1830's. Long known as the
Cheshire-Collins house and recently renovated by the Knesek family in 1996, this home was
built by William W. Cheshire, a native of North Carolina who came to Indiana in
1858. He was a co-proprietor of Crown Point's Cheshire Hall. Mrs. Cheshire,
(Bessie Boone) was a first cousin to Daniel Boone. This charming house was moved
five inches in 1870 by a powerful tornado which tore off the roof and chimney and survived
an 1890 fire which cause heavy damage. The Ox eye window was restored in the 1996
restorations having been missing since the 1890 fire.
The Lillian Holley House
205 E. South St.
Queen Anne house more than any other in Crown Point has fascinated local residents young
and old. This house was built c: 1890 for Flora Norton Biggs the widow of James H.
Biggs of Cincinnati. Biggs had been engaged in real estate and was a dealer for the
United States Cotton Press and Hay Press. Flora was the daughter of Aaron Hart and
Martha Reed Dyer who were the largest land owners in Lake County before the
turn-of-the-20th-century. Flora's mother had built the neighboring home at 105 E.
South Street for Malcolm and Maquerit Hart, her brother and sister-in-law. Perhaps
the longest and best known resident of this house was the late Lillian Holley who died at
the age of 102 in 1994. Mrs. Holley was a patron of the Old Lake County Courthouse,
and the large clocks in the central tower were restored to working order because of her
generosity during the nation's bicentennial.
482 South Court Street
This Queen Anne
style house built c: 1895 originally clapboard and covered with shingles, and today seen
as a painted lady, features original dental work trim under the eaves. The Heritage
roof replaces a shaker original. The iron fence in the front garden is
original. The fieldstone marker's origins are unknown and are not visible in the
view of a 1907 photo by Vilmer of this house. Parquet flooring in this house is very
similar to those in Bon Appetit/Fifield Mansion as they are to that in the Lillian Holley
Grand Root House
107 W. South St. & S. Main Street
An imposing Queen Anne painted lady built in c: 1895, perhaps the town's
finest example of Queen Anne architecture with Free Classic elements. The image of
this house is now painted on an ornamental glass bulb that the Greater Crown Point Chamber
issued in 1997. The nine room home was built for David A. Root, his wife Carrie Dyer
Root and son Clayton. The Roots descend from a colonial American family that had
arrived in New England in 1635. David A. Root established Root Lumber Co. in
1892. This house was the setting for many fine social events in Crown Point, such as
Fortnightly Musicale Society. Michael Lunn, a fifth generation Root family
member, recently bought the house from his mother, Judith Root Stiles.
More historical homes
will be added to this page.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
if you'd like to have your Crown Point
|Special thanks go to the Crown Point Chamber of
Commerce, and the Chambers Walking Tour Committee. Script by American Dream
Realty & Trent D. Pendley.